With Mango season around, it becomes hard to resist a slice. Let’s understand the pros and cons of doing so..
1. Mango is definitely high on the nutrition quotient eg., fibre, beta carotene, vitamin C, iron to name a few.
2. Like other fruits, it contains glucose and fructose, the amount of glucose being slightly higher.
3. An occasional indulgence won’t hurt healthy exercising individuals. Try to stay within a slice or 2 as it is likely to put you off the fat loss wagon if that is your goal. Any fruit is best eaten as the 1st or 2nd meal of the day as the sugar in fruit (fructose) is likely to be stored as fat in the later parts of the day.
4. Diabetics (controlled sugar) may also include upto a slice at breakfast. Children within their ideal weight range can include 1 medium mango as a mid meal snack during the day.
5. Intensely training adult individuals can take it as a post workout meal (preferably morning) if on a carbohydrate dominant diet.